“Say, He is Allah , (who is) One, Allah , the Eternal Refuge. He neither begets nor is born, Nor is there to Him any equivalent.”
If we look beyond the religious or Sharia compliancy the realisation that halaal certified products already provide all the set standards that every human being needs to consider when they consume or use products.
These key requirements, included whether a product is healthy, nutritious, clean, safe and caused no harm to the environment.
Halaal certification actually provides all these standards already, as part of what we call a lifestyle value proposition. It ticks all the boxes that people want in a good quality product.
The Ethical Businessman’s Oath hereunder:
I will, Insha-‘Allah, behave with God Consciousness and Accountability towards:
- My intention for business will not be merely to enrich myself but to earn in a permissible way and spend in the right path
- I will regard it as a compulsory duty to learn all the Islamic rules and laws regarding business from the respective scholars.
- I will then always conduct my business according to God’s immutable divine law.
- I will spend my resources wisely, always maintaining appropriate reserves for difficult times
- My primary responsibility is to provide the best quality product to those who come to my business
- I will receive my customers politely and treat them with respect and dignity
- I will work to cut my overhead costs in order to charge reasonable prices
- I will process all transactions speedily and without errors
- I will not misrepresent my products or services to any customer at all
- I will gladly accept to refund a dissatisfied customer
My Suppliers and Distributors:
- I will work with my suppliers and distributors to maintain consistency in quality and service
- I will ensure that they make a fair profit
- All my employees will work in safe and clean conditions
- They will receive fair and adequate compensation
- They will have ample opportunities to develop their skills
- They will feel free to make suggestions, or complaints
- I will safeguard their rights and respect their dignity at all times
- I will clearly communicate to all employees what is expected of them
- I will compensate my employees equitably
- I will allow them reasonable time to fulfill their religious obligations, especially Prayer & Pilgrimage
- I will not engage in monopolistic behaviour and preclude others from competing with me
- I will compete fairly without engaging in un-ethical tactics
- I will not be envious or malicious towards my competitors in anyway
- I will support the community I live in as well as the world-wide Community
- I will be a good citizen, by contributing to the welfare of the needy and the destitute in society